Saturday, November 10, 2007

Somebody 'splain this to me . . .

Last March, Dennis, #89, came into the Project with a 12 marker result from the Genographic Project and a pair of Y-HAP-Backbone results M170+ P19+ and a Haplogroup I designation.    My suspicion is that FTDNA was unable to predict Dennis' haplogroup so did the Y-HAP tests on their own under their SNP Assurance program, namely, "If your group has a member for whom we could not predict the haplogroup with 100% confidence, we will run that DNA sample through our Backbone SNP test for free" and guaranteeing haplogroup prediction or confirmation to the depth A, B, C, D, E, E3a, E3b, F, G, H, I, J, K, K2, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, R1a, R1b, R2.

OK.    Why then yesterday did Dennis get another Y-HAP-Backbone result M253+ taking him to a confirmed Hg I1a?    Dennis doesn't respond so I'm asking if anyone can shed any light on what's going on?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim:
I agree that Dennis' 1st Y-HAP Backbone was probably done by FTDNA as part of their SNP Assurance program. I can't imagine that they did a 2nd Y-HAP Backbone. I wish that Dennis would respond, but as we have experienced several participants won't respond to questions.

I double checked Brian S., who has done a Deep SNP "I" at FTDNA and is a confirmed I1a. The SNPs done by FTDNA are quite a bit more extensive that the Y-HAP Backbone, so it's not as though Dennis ordered a Deep SNP "I" test. If he had done that, I would expect that his SNP list would be as extensive as Brian S.'s -- wouldn't you agree??

This is a puzzle which perhaps only FTDNA can answer.

Didn't you have a SNP test?? Since there are no SNPs shown on your page, I guess you must have gone to EA for a SNP test???

Carol Vass

1:56 PM  
Blogger langolier said...

Yes, I did. Here's mine:

http://tinyurl.com/ytuuth

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home