Friday, August 21, 2009

Good Company

A really very interesting result!    Tommie's, #173, Y-DNA67 test results have just been reported and the match exactly those of jim, #7,   -   mine!

What's interesting about this exact 67 marker match is that the stateside Augusta/Washington Co. Berrys can only trace back to two related persons (brothers, cousins or ??) born probably in Ireland in the 1690s who began to show up in Lancaster Co., Pennsylvania / Augusta Co., Virginia in the early to mid 1700s.    [Of course, ignoring for the moment the 'one went North' family lore.]

These two were James Berry, c1690-c1756, and John Berry, c1700-1771.    Tommie descends from James, I descend from John.    Not the DNA results we might have expected from the traditional genealogy.

This will certainly confuse any inferences we might have thought we could draw from the Augusta/Washington Co. Berry cladogram.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Artie Berry, #90 said...

"Not the DNA results we might have expected from the traditional genealogy."

Okay, Jim, I'll expose my ignorance. If James and John were brothers, cousins, uncle, nephew, it is my understanding these two sets of DNA results would be almost if not exactly the same. I would think they would be exactly what would be expected. What am I missing?

Artie, #90

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, Jim. I don't see how Tommie's exact match to you are "not the DNA results we might have expected from the traditional genealogy." I think the exact match between you and Tommie 'supports' the notion that elder James and elder John were brothers or close, close cousins.

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooops, I meant to sign my name to the last post.

Carol Vass

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home