Friday, August 25, 2006

My first cladograms!

Yes, I know.   I've talked about and had cladograms on before, but they weren't mine.   I was able to present them through the generosity of Colleen Fitzpatrick of Forensic Genealogy.   Actually, I was only finally able to learn to do these with her help, again.   Thanks, Colleen.

The difficulty is that the Network application that generates them is a Windows or DOS only program.   I've been a Mac person since 1984 and have never before had to go over to the dark side.   But I wanted to be able to generate my own cladograms so I bought a copy of iEmulator which emulates a PC on my Mac (boy, is it slow!), sort of stumbled onto how to get it and my Mac to talk to each other so I could exchange files, and here we are.

Let's talk about the Culpeper Co. Berrys.   I'm not going to be able to offer any great insights because I don't know their line that well.   But let's just put out there what we do know and see if anything hits us in the face.

You will recall that we have six members from that family, Brent, #4, Jonathan, #12, Richard, #16, David, #57, Harold, #62 and Edward, #71.   All have tested at least 25 markers and four have tested 37.

Here are their yAncestrys:
Here are their markers and distances:
and here are their cladograms:The small red circle (or diamond, in some instances) with 'mv1' beside it is a 'median vector'.   According to Colleen, "A median vector is a hypothetical person who either hasn't joined the group yet or whose haplotype died out because he didn't have sons.   The software needs to include these to be able to join all the existing members in the most efficient (maximum parsimony) way."

Hm-m-m-m-m.   Harold and Edward both have a paper trail to a common ancestor seven generations back.   Logic would suggest that maybe they ought to be closer together in the cladograms.   But then, maybe logic isn't in play here. Hm-m-m-m-m.

Network diagrams created using Phylogenetic Network software from Fluxus Technology and using the Median Joining method as described by Bandelt H-J, Forster P, Röhl A (1999) Median-joining networks for inferring intraspecific phylogenies. Mol Biol Evol 16:37-48

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home