Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Colonoscopy

Not everyone may be interested in this, but yesterday I had my colonoscopy and thought I might share a little of my experiences just in case there is someone who ought to have the procedure done but is dreading the experience.

To summarize:   The preparation is hard;  The procedure itself is simple and painless;  The recovery is sublime.

The preparation involves fasting for a day coupled with drinking large quantities of some substance that is designed to clean out your colon.    It doesn't really taste bad but seems to have a 'thickness' to it.    One or two glasses wouldn't be bad, but seventeen?    C'mon.    Fifteen of them beginning about 6:00 in the evening (for a 10:00 a.m. procedure appointment) and two at 4:30 a.m.    But once you've done that, the worst is over and the rest is gravy.

For the patient, the procedure itself is very simple and painless.    After checking in and getting into your 'gown' you simply lay on a bed with wheels while nice nurses attend to you.    After being wheeled into the procedure room, I recall being asked to roll onto my left side, and beginning to comply, but nothing more.

The next thing I remember is my wife asking me if I need anything.    I'm told that I replied, "IPone".    And that I next asked for my camera and mumbled something about taking a photo of the white wall!    Well, I suppose I could have said worse.

So, here I am, looking more alert than I apparently was -
and here's my lovely driver -
After returning home, I spent the better part of the afternoon in the corner of the couch working on my laptop and iPhone and watching MSNBC and feeling very mellow.    I suppose I could have gotten up and done something but I just didn't see the need to.    I thought that I had recovered from the effects of the anesthetic but it wasn't until much later in the evening that I realized that I had not.    They used Demerol and Versed.    I highly recommend them.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

question. do they put you under with gas or iv drugs..?

4:58 PM  
Blogger langolier said...

Part of the attending the 'nice nurses' do for you is to put an IV dealie in (on my wrist) which they use in the procedure room for delivering the anesthesia. So, IV.

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home