Friday, June 12, 2009

There's an app for that

The iPhone is truly an amazing device!    Undoubtedly the most satisfying and useful device that I've ever purchased, and I rarely make a phone call.

I've been searching the Ancestry.com DNA results for Berry haplotypes and among those I found was one for Donald Wayne Berry.    Even better, comparing Donald's haplotype to all the others in the Project shows that he's related to me!    He's an Augusta/Washington Co. Berry!

I'm sure that there are many more things to complain about re Ancestry.com but I don't subscribe so the two that come immediately to my mind are that the DNA section is so clunky as to be almost unnavigable and that there is no sure way to contact someone you do find there.

Well, there's an app for that!    Ancestry does have a map function showing the geographic distribution of your potential relations so, looking at that, I could see that Donald lives in the vicinity of Fresno, California.    Using the iPhone's free White Pages app I searched for Donald Wayne Berry in California and among the many hits I got there was a Donald W. Berry in Xxxxx, California which, using the same app, I was able to determine was near Fresno.    So I called him.

No answer.    So I tried again about 10 last evening (7:00 in California) and it was the right Donald Berry.    After a very nice chat with Don and his wife, Janet, Don is now Participant #170 in the Project.

There's an app for that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home