Monday, September 24, 2007

Name change?

I emailed all eight members of the Culpeper Co. Berry family on Sept. 15 asking them what they thought of changing their name to the Madison Co. Berrys.    Here's the question I posed to them:
I wondered whether when you all think of your roots location you think of Culpeper County or Madison County?    I think because the Madison Co. area is more mountainous, closed off and protected from outside influences It seems to me more descriptive of the ancestry of the folks sharing your DNA.    I named you all the Culpeper Co. Berrys initially because some of your earliest known ancestors had some relationship with Culpeper Co.    I now believe that that's just because Madison Co. wasn't formed from Culpeper Co. until 1792.
I received replies from only three, none having any objection.

I'm inclined to go ahead and change their name but thought I would solicit opinions from the Berry Family DNA Project participants as a whole.    I won't give other's opinions the weight I give the affected family members but I would be interested in any thoughts you all might have on the subject.    Email me here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm from both Culpeper/Madison County Berrey's - I generally list it as follows Culpeper/Madison to show proximity and location of the original two generations we know about. Barb Berrey Stotler

1:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home